Friday, January 27, 2012

Comic Cuts - 27 January 2012

I'm pleased to announce that the second proof of Pages from History arrived during the week and I'm putting in a print order today. So those of you who have been kind enought to pre-order the book should get their copies before the official publication date of 6 February. For those of you who get paid in the last week of the month, there's still time to order a copy at the discount rate. I wanted to reward the people who have shown a huge amount of faith in Bear Alley Books... but I will have to knock the discount on the head after 3 February.

Some of you may have noticed a lack of updates to the little rolling news column that sits over to the left of this central column.  I'm not sure why, but there was a problem with it that meant that, whilst I could write new entries, they weren't saving. I've resolved this by loading up a new widget and deleting the old one. Simples. Keeping up to date with the news, not so simples... but I'll do my best.

I had to buy myself another external hard drive to cope with the scans I have been generating for Bear Alley Books and to back up the work I have been doing for Look and Learn. All things expand to fill the space available, as they say, but I seem to be filling up hard drives at a crazy rate. The new computer was double the size of the old one but I've somehow filled an extra 200GB. That leaves me with a workspace of around 50GB, which sounds a lot but the latest folder of work that arrived was 49GB, so I've had to break it down into smaller, more manageable folders. Hence the need to buy a brand spanking new 2TB drive. And at some time I'm going to have to replace another one because I'm paranoid about losing data unless I have it backed up onto two drives. Long time readers will remember I had a couple of catastrophic external hard drive failures back in February 2009 and my computer went into meltdown last summer, so I'm speaking from experience when I say "Back everything up!" Believe me, you don't want to go through what I've had to go through in the past.

Amazing to think that I now have vastly more computing power than NASA had when they sent a rocket to the moon.


I spotted this some weeks ago and have been meaning to share it with you. I love this kind of thing. It's addictive... but I'm going to give you the link anyway. Go take a look at Alex Cherney's other videos at Vimeo.

Our random scans this week are four from Scion from the early 1950s. These were all in pretty bad condition and you'll see that it wasn't always possible to fix them. But I've done the best I can. I love these old gangster covers... so anyone who wants to send me any scans, please do. Condition not important, but reasonably big so I've got something to work with.

 
 
 
Next week: more Paul Temple and hopefully in the correct order. D'oh!

2 comments:

  1. "Amazing to think that I now have vastly more computing power than NASA had when they sent a rocket to the moon"

    Come now Steve, you don't actually believe that in 1969 we had the technology or computing power to actually achieve this do you.

    Conned the lot of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seen these? There's a whole album's worth ... They're quite extraordianry.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGK84Poeynk

    ReplyDelete

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books